Using Bluetooth is one of the basic aspects of using a Windows PC. This wireless technology helps connect peripherals to the computer and prevents precious time from the fussy cables alongside the file transfer capabilities across nearby devices. In this article, you will get to know the fundamentals of using Bluetooth right from enabling it to sharing files. So, let’s cut to the chase and find the useful tips for using Bluetooth on Windows PC.
Tips for Using Bluetooth on Windows Computer
We have tons of accessories including headphones, printers and game controllers that can easily be connected to the Windows computer using Bluetooth. But there are a few steps to successfully run Bluetooth on your Windows computer. Read on to find out.
1. Enable Bluetooth
Follow these steps to get started with Bluetooth:
- Go to the Settings and click on the Devices option.
- Now, find and click on the Bluetooth & other devices.
- In the next step, you have to toggle the switch on for Bluetooth.
You can also seek the Action Center for switching Bluetooth on. Simply go to the Action Center (Windows Key + A) and hit the Expand option, visible on the top-left side. Finally, hit the Bluetooth button.
Now that you have completed these steps, Bluetooth will be enabled on your system.
2. Install Bluetooth Driver
Updating a driver is an important aspect of running a smooth process on your Windows PC. In order to be able to connect Bluetooth devices and share files without any hassle, keeping an up-to-date driver is super important. You can use the Device Manager and install generic Bluetooth radio driver for manual updates.
In order to install driver updates, follow these steps:
- Go to the Start option.
- Type Device Manager in the search box and then click on the top result to open it.
- Now, Check-in at the Other devices section.
- In the next step, you have to right-click on the adapter which you may find with a yellow mark.
- Then, hit the Update driver option.
- Click on the Search automatically to find options for updated driver software.
- In Settings, click on the Check for updates option.
- Finally, restart your device.
After you finish completing these steps, you will be able to connect peripherals via wireless technology. If you don’t find installing new driver updates manually any helpful or convenient, you can use any best free driver updater to complete the process. A trusted third-party free driver updater software will scan for updates and install them automatically. Many users prefer this method for it is super quick and not at all tiring.
3. Replace Bluetooth Adapter
When the existing Bluetooth adapter in your device stops functioning, you may just want to replace it with the working one, right away. If you want to connect a new adapter to your device, then here is the step-by-step method to do that in order to have a successful result.
Follow these steps to replace Bluetooth adapter:
- Check yourself in at Start.
- Now, search and find the Device Manager.
- Once you have opened Device Manager, you can take yourself to the Bluetooth section.
- Now, you have to right-click on the adapter and hit the Disable device option.
- Next, hit the Yes button and then, get the Bluetooth dongle connected to your computer.
- Wait while the system detects the required driver and once it does, it will automatically install the driver.
4. Transfer Files Using Bluetooth
Bluetooth makes a great platform when it comes to connecting speakers, keyboards, printers, and other such devices and it is equally helpful in transferring files across devices. You can use the Nearby sharing feature to share files. This feature uses Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connection to transfer files with nearby devices without any hassle.
Follow these steps to enable Nearby sharing feature on your Windows 10 PC:
- Navigate yourself to Settings.
- Click the System section.
- Click on the Shared experiences option.
- Now, turn the Nearby sharing feature on.
Transfer files using the Nearby sharing feature
- Go to the File Explorer.
- Now, right-click on the file that you want to share
- Then, hit the share button and click the device in the Share interface
- In the next step, you have to click on the Save & Open (you can also click Save) button in order to share the file.
Transfer files using Bluetooth send and receive feature
The send and receive a feature in order to share files with other nearby devices is one classic way to transfer files. Follow these steps to use this feature to share and receive files from another computer with Bluetooth:
- First, right-click on the Bluetooth icon using the taskbar notification section.
- Find and click the Send a file option and then select the device where you want to transfer the file
- Now, spot the Use authentication option and hit the Next button
- After that, click on the Browse button to find and select the file which you want to share
- Hit the Next button
- Click on the Add a device notification from the source computer.
- Click on the Add a device notification which is there on the destination computer.
- To confirm pairing, you have to click the Yes option on the source computer.
- Hit the Yes button on the destination computer to confirm pairing.
- Now, select the Close button on the source computer
- Select the Close button on the destination computer
- Finally, you can hit the Finish button.
Once you finish following the steps mentioned above, the file will transfer the source computer to the destination computer using Bluetooth and the Wi-Fi connection. But here’s something you must know: In the send and receive feature of Bluetooth, you only get to share files that are small in size. Sharing large files with this method can take up a heavy amount of your time.
Once you complete the steps mentioned above, you can find the files in the Downloads folder.
So, there were useful ways to get started with Bluetooth on your Windows PC. You must keep drivers updated and check up on the Bluetooth toggle by turning it off and then on to ensure that it doesn’t bother you with connectivity problems. Let us know if you found this article helpful. Also, don’t forget to share opinions and suggestions in the comment section.